Rusty Smith is a trial lawyer with a diverse legal practice. A native of Ardmore, Oklahoma, Mr. Smith graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a Bachelor of Arts in 1999 and obtained his law degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Law in 2002. He is licensed to practice in all Oklahoma State Courts, the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Western, and Northern Districts of Oklahoma, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Mr Smith is also a member of the Oklahoma, Muskogee County, and Tulsa County Bar Associations.
Mr. Smith, formerly of Bonds, Matthews, Brennan & Bonds in Muskogee, practices in the areas of personal injury, workers' compensation, insurance law, banking law, business law, criminal law, family law, real estate, and estate planning. He was previously employed by one of the world's largest insurance companies as in-house counsel, and for several years worked for an insurance defense litigation firm.
Mr. Smith's experience in defending some of the country's largest insurance companies and their insureds has proven to be an invaluable asset when it comes to his current practice of representing accident victims, injured workers, and those involved in insurance disputes. He has obtained and/or negotiated several six-figure verdicts and settlements in less than ten years of practice.
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
• U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
• U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
• J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law, 2002
• B.A., Univeristy of Oklahoma, 1999
• Oklahoma Bar Association
• Muskogee County Bar Association
• Tulsa County Bar Association
Some of Mr. Smith's appellate decisions include:
• Knight ex rel. Ellis v. Miller, 195 P.3d 372 (Okla. 2008)
• Bilby v. Claremore Ambulance Rescue and Emergency Services, Inc.,
149 P.3d 1093 (Okla. Ct. App. 2006)
• Hamby v. Marks, 2007 WL 458011 (10th Cir. 1007)
• Sunny Meadows Dairy & Foods, Inc. v. Peerless Ins. Co., 2005 WL
2716303 (W.D. Okla. 2005)
• Empire Fire and Marine Ins. Co. v. Timeline Recovery, L.L.C., 2006
WL 2345005 (N.D. Okla. 2006)
• French v. Pharmacists Mut. Ins. Co., 2008 WL 542856 (N.D. Okla. 2008)